SooN COOKING Shortcuts
It takes time to waste time. Skip right to it!
New to SooN Cooking?
No problem! Some quick background on the concept: I love to cook and realized that I often had to adjust my meal plan to
Get Setup for Success
This post contains affiliate links which doesn’t impact YOUR customer experience. What it means is that when you buy something AFTER clicking on the links THEN the merchant may pay me a commission for the traffic and revenue generated from that sale. To forgo the affiliate process, you would need to separately search for the hyperlinked items listed below on the internet. Curious to learn more about this process? https://soonliving.com/start-here/legal/ has the full details.
Other Critical Information
To put some actual numbers to this…say you are using the loaf pan. What you would discover is that the Barilla Pasta Oven-Ready noodles fit perfectly in the pan and a single noodle will cover your surface area. Each “layer” is comprised of a lasagna noodle sandwich with ricotta cheese as the filling. I recommend three layers in the lasagna so the math for the lasagna noodles in this pan would look like this: (1 lasagna noodle + ricotta filling + 1 lasagna noodle) * 3 = 6 lasagna noodles. There are 9 lasagna noodles in each Barilla Pasta Ove-Ready box.
- Lasagna pan − This piece of hardware depends on how many people you plan to serve the lasagna to. I often make one lasagna for serving immediately and one for freezing and serving in the future (Serve and Reserve). Lasagna is also my go-to food gift for friends, co-workers
andfamily that need a little dinner help. Depending on my use case, I pick from one of three pan types:
- Lasagna pan: this is the complete lasagna package and probably one of my best Amazon kitchen purchases. It is the perfect depth for lasagna, serves 8-10 so is great for a larger group/family dinner and the stainless steel makes cleanup super easy.
- Disposable loaf pan with lid: perfect for 2-3 servings at a time. I always have a loaf pan lasagna in my freezer for a quick meal when I am traveling or we are just having a crazy week. I’ll make 1 of these for every 2 people I am cooking for.
- Cutting board
- Lasagna Server
- Cuisinart Food Processor
- Chef’s knife
- Silicone Spatula
- Tasting spoons (from your flatware set – these are mine)
- 1 lbs Fresh Pasta Sheets or 1 box lasagna noodles (when I don’t have time to make fresh pasta, I use Barilla Pasta, Oven-Ready)
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups Meat Sauce (see my recipe here)
- 64 oz whole milk ricotta
- 16 oz burrata
- 16 oz chopped or shredded mozzarella
- 2 cups microplaned Parmigiano Reggiano
- Cooking spray
Prep the cheese
crack the burrata
use a spoon
to extract the filling
chop the mozzarella
microplane the parmesan
keep each cheese separate
use the Cuisinart
to chop the spinach
add the ricotta
mix spinach and ricotta evenly
Make your layers. A “layer” is comprised of a lasagna noodle sandwich.
cover a noodle with filling
add another noodle to make a sandwich
make enough layers to cover the pan at least 3x
Sauce it up and add the cheese
cover each layer with 1/2-inch of sauce
top layer with mozzarella
repeat at least 2x
drop the burrata filling on the top layer
distribute evenly like cookie dough; finish with parmesan
cook for 45-minutes
finish by broiling 1-2 minutes until brown
cool 5 minutes; serve and enjoy
SooN COOKING Original
- Prep the cheese by
microplaningthe parmesan and split evenly into thirds.
- Chop the mozzarella and split evenly in half.
- Use the Cuisinart to chop the spinach. Once it is chopped finely, add the ricotta cheese so that the spinach blends in with the ricotta and the ricotta turns green.
- Spray the pan with Pam.
layers. A “layer” is comprised of a lasagna noodle sandwich like this: (1 lasagna noodle + spinach-ricotta filling + 1 lasagna noodle) * enough layers to cover the surface area of your pan. I recommend 3 layers per lasagna. a your
- Fill your pan with the first layer.
- Cover with about 1/2 inch of meat sauce.
- Sprinkle each type of prepped cheese over the sauce layer.
- Repeat this process twice more.
- On the last layer start by evenly spreading the remaining parmesan on top.
- Now “crack” your burrata ball and use the teaspoon to evenly distribute the burrata filling on the top layer (similar to when you plop cookie dough on a sheet for baking).
- Bake at 375° F for 45 minutes.
- To finish, and to brown and bubble the burrata – broil on low for 1-2 minutes. Keep your eye on it so it doesn’t burn too much – I often have to turn the lasagna pan a few times to get the edge sections browned.
SooN COOKING Express
Lasagna is labor intensive which is why I generally use the Serve or Reserve method. These SooN COOKING EXPRESS directions are for your reserve lasagna.
- You will want to follow all the steps outlined in the SooN Original version.
- Instead of cooking for 45 minutes at 375° F, you will only cook your reserve lasagna for 25 minutes. In doing so, you are effectively pre-cooking the reserve lasagna which will make reheating it much faster in the future.
- Let the lasagna cool and cover. All of the pans in the “Suggested Hardware” section come with their own lids. However, I typically cover the cooled lasagna with a layer of saran wrap before covering and freezing to keep freezer burn to a minimum.
- Use a freezer label and write the contents (meat lasagna) the date with the following cooking directions: cook 30 minutes at 375° F, finish by broiling on high to brown and bubble the burrata.
- Place in freezer for future use. You will be able to plop this frozen reserve lasagna directly into the freezer when you need it in the future. PLEASE DON’T FORGET TO REMOVE THE SARAN WRAP IF YOU USED IT!!!!
SooN COOKING Vegetarian
Not familiar with a Vegetarian diet? Learn more using the SooN LIVING Dietary Requirements Decoder.
SooN COOKING Kosher
Mixing meat with dairy is the #1 no-no in a Kosher diet. For lasagna, I prefer all the
Not familiar with a Kosher diet? Learn more using the SooN LIVING Dietary Requirements Decoder.
SooN COOKING Halal
Research tells me that there is no restriction for mixing meat and dairy in a Halal diet and the SooN COOKING ORIGINAL recipe will be sufficient as a result. However, there is some sensitivity around the rennin used in curdling milk so I’d check with your guest on their dairy preference. It may be as simple as substituting kosher or vegetarian cheese. If you do prepare this dish for someone who follows a Halal diet − let me know how it went in the comments section!
Not familiar with a Halal diet? Learn more using the SooN LIVING Dietary Requirements Decoder.
Use gluten-free lasagna noodles and follow the SooN COOKING ORIGINAL recipe which otherwise has no wheat products and would be perfect for someone who has Celiac or is gluten-free. You can also substitute layers of Creamy Parmesan Polenta for the noodles. I serve lasagna EVERY Christmas Eve and my brother tells me he prefers the Polenta version. Let me know how your Celiac eater enjoyed it in the comments section!
Not familiar with a Celiac diet? Learn more using the SooN LIVING Dietary Requirements Decoder.
SooN COOKING for One
“Lasagna” is one of those dishes that
That said, if you want to make a single portion, here are the steps:
- single square food mold
- enough pasta sheets to create 3 layers in your mold [if using dried sheets you will need to cook the sheets in boiling water until they are soft enough for you to cut them to size]
- 8 oz whole milk ricotta
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup Meat Sauce [recipe here]
- 1 burrata ball — reserve 4 oz cheese filling for top and use the remaining cheese throughout the lasagna layers, any remaining cheese could be eaten on a fresh piece of bread while cooking the lasagna!
- 1/2 cup
- Cooking spray
Follow the directions in the SooN COOKING Original recipe and enjoy!
SooN COOKING for Kids
“Lasagna” was one of the first things I fed to my kids. Though it was really just the components of the lasagna instead of an actual lasagna. Cubes of fresh
A deep dive into the recipe…
Lasagna, or rather, FROZEN lasagna was on the weekly dinner rotation in my childhood home. Specifically, Safeway’s private label vegetarian lasagna, which had corn in it. [???]
It is probably for this reason I did not discover the PURE GENIUS behind MEAT lasagna until I studied abroad in Italy at age 23!!!!
After ordering it on a whim, I immediately fell in love with the delicious balance that layers of pasta, meat sauce, and multiple varieties of cheese can bring to your mouth in one bite. Shortly after, my four roommates and I reverse engineered it, because “when in Rome” [we literally were living in Rome]. It was on our weekly dinner rotation for the rest of the semester.
Over the years I have tested a number of different techniques to land on this specific step-by-step process.
I do want to be very clear: while you will have a solid return on your investment — lasagna is HARD WORK. It is for this reason that I highly recommend you Serve or Reserve™ this one! You will be so happy you did it later on!
I cannot wait for you to share your lasagna memories or creations in the comments section!
Happy SooN COOKING,
Looking for Something?
Search SooN LIVING and let us know if you don't find what you are looking for!
Become An Official SooN LIVING Fan*
Learn how to tame YOUR chaos with exclusive content, productivity hacks and the occasional funny story.
*A low-risk time commitment; unsubscribe anytime.
Feedback? Input? Questions?
We cannot wait to hear from you!
This lasagna recipe was amazing – especially the meat sauce! We used it for rigatoni on night one, lasagna on night two. I can’t wait to make this throughout the Fall and Winter for cozy nights in with the family. Pro Tips: pairs great with a deep Cabernet :). Thank you Elisha for sharing this recipe and your time!
Love this lasagna! Sooo delicious and my go-to recipe for meal trains and freezer dinners. during that newborn period!
Thanks for this great feedback Emily!
The lasagna is amazing! My family and I are going to incorporate this into our meal plan each week along with the Burrata, my son Frankie can’t stop eating it and he’s only a year old. Thank you Elisha for this fantastic service!
Jared, what a rave review – I’m thrilled! Frankie might be the youngest fan yet – thank you for sharing!
Hands down the best lasagna I have ever had! I followed the recipe but used the SooN Cooking vegetarian sauce recipe for spinach lasagna and it was incredible. Love the “noodle sandwiches” and the burrata sprinkled on top. Just can’t get enough of this recipe – wow!
Really appreciate the feedback – I’m thrilled about your reaction to the SooN vegetarian lasagna! Just awesome. 🙂
This lasagna is incredibly delicious! SO many amazing layers of goodness and perfectly balanced. There are so many lasagna recipes out there, this one is perfect!
Hi Emily, so great to hear you are a fan of the lasagna. Such great feedback!